Connor Zilisch To Replace Alex Bowman At Hendrick Motorsports In 2028

Connor Zilisch To Replace Alex Bowman At Hendrick Motorsports In 2028

by August 17, 2026 0 comments

By Matthew Thomerson/TheFourthTurn.com

Connor Zilisch will be the new driver of Hendrick Motorsports’ famed No. 48 starting in 2028.

Hendrick announced Zilisch will pilot the Hendrick entry with sponsorship from Ally, in a statement released Monday. He will replace the current pilot of the No. 48, Alex Bowman, who recently announced his retirement for the end of the 2027 NASCAR Cup Series season.

Zilisch was the leading candidate for the opening ride at the sport’s most successful organization, and the two sides got a deal done early to put any future speculation to rest. 

“Connor is a truly gifted young racer,” said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. “His talent behind the wheel is exceptional, but I’m even more impressed by the person he is. When someone with that kind of ability and character becomes available, you do everything you can to bring them into your organization. We have tremendous confidence in Connor, and we believe he’s the right driver to build on the legacy of the No. 48 Ally team for many years to come.” 

Zilisch is in the midst of a tough rookie season in the premier NASCAR Cup Series driving for Trackhouse Racing in the No. 88 Chevrolet, with just one top-10 in 24 starts. However, the talent has always been apparent, with the 20-year-old scoring 11 victories in the NASCAR O’Reilly Auto Parts Series between 2024 and 2025. This included a 10-win season last year, finishing runner-up in the final standings. Now, Zilisch will get the ultimate opportunity to achieve results for the team with the most Cup victories in NASCAR history.

“This is one of those moments you dream about as a kid,” Zilisch said. “Hendrick Motorsports has always represented the standard in our sport, and being entrusted to help continue that legacy means everything to me. The chance to drive a Chevrolet for Mr. Hendrick, carry the colors of an incredible partner like Ally and compete alongside some of the best drivers and people in racing is what you work so hard for. I’m grateful for the confidence they’ve shown in me, and it’s my job to prove they made the right decision.”   

With his contract through the end of the next season and Bowman signing a one-year extension with Hendrick in July, Zilisch will pilot a Trackhouse Chevrolet for one more year, trying to get a victory for the team that signed him years ago. 

At 5-years-old, Zilisch began racing karts, before moving overseas at 11-years-old to race professionally. Zilisch won the FIA Karting Championship Trophy in 2020, racing and beating future stars like Formula 1 championship leader Kimi Antonelli.

He moved to cars the next year, eventually racing and winning the Rolex 24 at Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring. By then, Trackhouse had taken notice, signing him to their program on the NASCAR side, where he eventually made his NASCAR O’Reilly debut in 2024 at Watkins Glen, winning commandingly. 

“It’s a bittersweet moment for Trackhouse,” Trackhouse Team-Owner Justin Marks said in a statement. “But I am truly happy for Connor to get an opportunity that many drivers only dream of. While our goal was always to have him in our cars for the long term, I’m still excited for the opportunity we have with him now and in 2027.” 

It is unclear if sponsor RedBull will join Zilisch at Hendrick, and the crew chief, along with other details, are TBD. 

Photo Credit: Hunter Thomas/TheFourthTurn.com

No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

<