Blogs

Richard Petty Motorsports Suspends NXS Team over Sponsor Issues

Richard Petty Motorsports Suspends NXS Team over Sponsor Issues

by June 1, 2016 0 comments

Richard Petty Motorsports’s one-car team in the NASCAR XFINITY Series will scale back its schedule moving forward in 2016.

The team’s No. 43 car driven by Jeb Burton will cut back from a full-time schedule to a partial schedule after payment issues arose with the team’s sponsor, J. Streicher & Co.

Exiting this past race weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Burton sat 11th in the drivers standings with a best finish of 10th to his credit from Atlanta Motor Speedway in February.

In a statement released by the team, Richard Petty Motorsports’s CEO, Brian Moffitt, called the situation ‘unfortunate’ and said the team will take the rest of the season one week at a time.

“This is an unfortunate situation,” Moffitt said. “We make commitments to both our employees and vendors that are based on sponsor commitments, and we take those commitments seriously.

“We will pursue every avenue to ensure the contractual obligations between RPM and our sponsor are met. We’ll take each week as it comes and do our best to get the No. 43 Ford Mustang on track as much as possible this season.”

Speaking via Twitter, Burton, who was just announced as the driver for Go FAS Racing in the Sprint Cup Series for this weekend’s race at Pocono Raceway, stated that he was devastated over the loss of his full-time ride in the XFINITY Series.

“Devastated that I won’t be able to continue the season as planned and heartbroken for my team,” Burton wrote. “I’m grateful to RPM for their commitment to me and remain hopeful that we can work through this issue with funding and get back on the track soon.”

Photo Credit: NASCAR 

Kyle Pokrefky
Follow Kyle Pokrefky on Twitter at @KPokrefky

No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Leave a Comment