The Tradition Continues! Darlington Raceway Announces Celebration Dates For 2016 Throwback Weekendby Press Release December 16, 2015 0 comments
DARLINGTON, SOUTH CAROLINA (December 16, 2015) – Another historic celebration of the sport is in store for Darlington Raceway in 2016.
The track is pleased to announce the return of its award-winning throwback campaign for the Bojangles’ Southern 500 race weekend on Sept. 2-4, 2016.
As the Tradition Continues in 2016, the track will be celebrating the 1975-84 era of the sport, which was a time of exceptional growth and exposure for NASCAR.
“The track will be celebrating the 1975-84 time period of the sport during our throwback weekend in 2016,” Darlington Raceway President Chip Wile said. “We had tremendous response from the industry last season, which included the race teams, NASCAR, NBC, Goodyear and the NASCAR Hall of Fame, to name a few. This is a fun and unique way to honor the history and heritage of NASCAR racing at one of the sport’s most iconic tracks on Labor Day weekend.”
As the sport moved into the modern era, champions such as Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, Dale Earnhardt and Darrell Waltrip, among others, made a tremendous impact on NASCAR and will be celebrated during the Labor Day weekend festivities.
The honoring of champions from 1975-84 is just one part of the track’s overall strategy to celebrate its history, which enters its second year. Darlington Raceway’s throwback campaign focuses on specific eras plus the historic moments and drivers that made impacts at the track Too Tough to Tame.
A number of exciting announcements about the pageantry surrounding one of the “crown jewel” events on the NASCAR schedule will be made over the next several months in regards to the 2016 campaign.
The track’s 2015 throwback campaign last season featured a celebration of the early 1970’s (1970-74) including the following highlights:
· 32 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race teams competed with throwback paint schemes for the Bojangles’ Southern 500, the most in any single NSCS event in the sport’s history.
· Kyle Larson won the fan vote for most popular paint scheme with his retro #42 Mello Yello car originally made popular from the movie Days of Thunder.
· Use of NASCAR’s famed “NASCAR International” logo.
· Goodyear putting the original white lettering on its race tires specifically for the Bojangles’ Southern 500.
· Honored 14 NASCAR Hall of Fame members at the Bojangles’ Legends Breakfast, including Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty, Rusty Wallace, Rex White, Dale Jarrett and Ned Jarrett, among others.
· 2016 NHOF inductee Terry Labonte served as the Bojangles’ Southern 500 grand marshal.
· Unique food offerings from the early 1970’s – pimento cheese sandwiches, sausage perlo and fried green tomatoes.
· Pre-race concert by rock legends Grand Funk Railroad and National Anthem performance by Nashville recording artist Tanya Tucker.
· Return of the Southern 500 parade, which took place on Saturday night from downtown Darlington to the track.
Ticket renewals will be mailed in January so fans should check their mailboxes in the coming weeks to renew their tickets and/or camping for 2016.
Renewing your tickets early guarantees the track’s best prices, along with other great benefits, including:
· 20% off pre-race pit passes! Purchase a pre-race pit pass for the Bojangles’ Southern 500 for only $20. A savings of $5 per pre-race pit pass!
· Get up close! Attend Bojangles’ Southern 500 pre-race ceremonies which include driver intros, a pre-race concert and pre-race pit road access, for only $35. That’s a $10 savings!
· Reserved seats for the XFINITY Series VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 are now just $25! Add or renew reserved tickets to the VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 for only $25 when you renew your Bojangles’ Southern 500 ticket package.
· Throwback pricing! Tickets for the Colvin Grandstand (rows 5-14) are now only $25. That’s a savings of 50% off the 2016 event price.
· Weekend FanVision rental only $44.99! Save $15 ($59.99 at the track) when you add a FanVision rental to your 2016 renewal package.
· Save $10 on a weekend scanner rental! Add a weekend scanner rental to your ticket or camping package for only $24.95 ($34.95 at the track).
· Save on hospitality! Add passes to our premier hospitality area, the Darlington Stripe Zone, before February 5, 2016, for only $110. That’s a savings of $30!
· FREE Practice Day ticket! Receive a FREE ticket to practice day (Sept. 2, 2016) when you renew your tickets to both the VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 and the Bojangles’ Southern 500.
· Renew today for as little as 20% down! Lock in your 2016 Bojangles’ Southern 500 event weekend ticket and/or camping package for only 20% down and split your remaining balance among four (4) payments due on March 16th, April 18th, May 16th and June 16th.
· Convenient 5-Part Payment Plan: As a renewing customer, you have the option to spread your ticket purchase over five equal payments when you use a major credit card. With an initial 20 percent down during the renewal period, additional 20 percent payments will be made on March 16, April 18, May 16 and June 16 in 2016.
The Tradition Continues on Labor Day weekend as the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Bojangles’ Southern 500® is set for Sunday, Sept. 4, 2016. The NASCAR XFINITY Series VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 will race on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016. You can keep up with all of the latest news from Darlington Raceway at DarlingtonRaceway.com, on Facebook at Facebook.com/DarlingtonRaceway and on Twitter at Twitter.com/TooToughToTame.