Jimmie Johnson Takes Quicken Loans Race for Heroes 500k Poleby Kyle Pokrefky November 14, 2015 0 comments
Four-time Phoenix winner Jimmie Johnson claimed his first Coors Light Pole Award of the season and will lead the field to the green in Sunday’s Quicken Loans Race for Heroes 500k.
Johnson clicked off a lap of 25.147 seconds to earn his 34th career pole in the Sprint Cup Series with his circuit that was 49 thousandths of a second faster than Chase driver Kurt Busch.
Starting behind the two Hendrick-affiliated cars in the top-10 will be Dale Earnhardt Jr., Carl Edwards, Martin Truex Jr., Kyle Larson, Erik Jones, Kevin Harvick, Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch – making for five of eight Chase drivers in the top-10.
Jeff Gordon, Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski will be the Chase drivers to start outside of the top-10 – starting respectively in the 11th, 14th and 18th positions.
“It’s nice to see all the hard work come together and us having the speed in the car and really have kind of a swagger back that we’re accustomed to having,” Johnson said. “So, it’s been a little in a lot of areas that’s led to this, from the engine department and chassis and aero and engineering and camaraderie amongst the team; all those things.
“We’ve been kind of stacking pennies for a while, and it’s nice to have the reward. Qualifying is certainly not my strong suit, so to get a pole here is really cool. I forgot what that whole pole ceremony was like and that was fun, and it’s time to go racing again.”
With 43 cars entered for the race weekend, no team was sent home following the completion of qualifying on Friday evening.
Two practice sessions are on tap for the Sprint Cup Series on Saturday ahead of Sunday afternoon’s race.
Top-10 Qualifiers for the Quicken Loans Race for Heroes 500k
- 48 – Jimmie Johnson – Chevrolet – Hendrick Motorsports – 25.147 | Leader
- 41 – Kurt Busch* – Chevrolet – Stewart-Haas Racing – 25.196 | -0.049
- 88 – Dale Earnhardt Jr. – Chevrolet – Hendrick Motorsports – 25.249 | -0.102
- 19 – Carl Edwards* – Toyota – Joe Gibbs Racing – 25.263 | -0.116
- 78 – Martin Truex Jr.*- Chevrolet – Furniture Row Racing – 25.300 | -0.153
- 42 – Kyle Larson – Chevrolet – Chip Ganassi Racing – 25.301 | -0.154
- 20 – Erik Jones(i) – Toyota – Joe Gibbs Racing – 25.313 | -0.166
- 4 – Kevin Harvick* – Chevrolet – Stewart-Haas Racing – 25.340 | -0.193
- 5 – Kasey Kahne – Chevrolet – Hendrick Motorsports – 25.341 | -0.194
- 18 – Kyle Busch* – Toyota – Joe Gibbs Racing – 25.382 | -0.235
(i) = Ineligible for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series points, * = Chase driver.
Photo Credit: Robert Laberge/NASCAR via Getty Images