Austin Dillon Scores Fifth Pole of XFINITY Season at Chicagoland Speedwayby Kyle Pokrefky June 20, 2015 0 comments
JOLIET, Ill. — For the fifth time this season, Austin Dillon will lead the field to green in a NASCAR XFINITY Series race, having taken the pole for tonight’s Owens Corning AttiCat 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.
Dillon completed a fast lap of 30.583 seconds in the final round of qualifying, besting efforts by Ross Kenseth and Elliott Sadler – who each completed laps two-thousandths of a second off of Dillon’s lap.
Completing the top-10 of tonight’s starting grid are Regan Smith, Brendan Gaughan, Chase Elliott, Daniel Suarez, Ty Dillon, Chris Buescher and Darrell Wallace Jr.
The first round of qualifying had Ryan Blaney complete the fastest lap of the session with a lap of 30.162 seconds, pacing a session that eliminated Ross Chastain, David Starr, T.J. Bell, Joey Gase and Bobby Gerhart, among others, from pole contention.
Gase and Gerhart each brought out the red flag for solo incidents off of Turn 2. Gerhart went for a spin off of the corner early in the session while Gase lost the rear of his car in the same spot as Gerhart, but overcorrected and put his No. 52 Chevrolet into the wall.
Q2 put the debuting Kenseth at the top of the scoring pylon with a lap of 30.457 seconds in a session that further eliminated Blaney, Brian Scott, Ryan Reed, Brennan Poole, Ryan Sieg, Ben Rhodes, Jeremy Clements J.J. Yeley, Blake Koch, Harrison Rhodes, Dylan Lupton and Cale Conley from having a shot at the pole.
Blaney failed to complete a lap in the 10-minute round after getting into the wall with his No. 22 Hertz Ford and inflicting significant damage on the right side of the car, prompting the team to roll out its backup car.
With his fifth pole of the season, Dillon will lead the field to green at 8:30 p.m CT with coverage of tonight’s race being provided by FOX Sports 1 and MRN.
Top-10 Qualifiers for the Owens Corning AttiCat 300
- 33 – Austin Dillon(i) – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 30.583 | Leader
- 20 – Ross Kenseth – Toyota – Joe Gibbs Racing – 30.585 | -0.002
- 1 – Elliott Sadler – Ford – Roush Fenway Racing – 30.585 | -0.002
- 7 – Regan Smith – Chevrolet – JR Motorsports – 30.650 | -0.067
- 62 – Brendan Gaughan – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 30.655 | -0.072
- 9 – Chase Elliott – Chevrolet – JR Motorsports – 30.673 | -0.090
- 18 – Daniel Suarez# – Toyota – Joe Gibbs Racing – 30.695 | -0.112
- 3 – Ty Dillon – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 30.720 | -0.137
- 60 – Chris Buescher – Ford – Roush Fenway Racing – 30.740 | -0.157
- 6 – Darrell Wallace Jr.# – Ford – Roush Fenway Racing – 30.871 | -0.288
# = Rookie, (i) = Ineligible for NASCAR XFINITY Series points.
Follow Kyle Pokrefky on Twitter at @KPokrefky
Photo credit: Jeff Zelevansky/NASCAR via Getty Images