Drew Herring, the Latest Super Sub, Takes 3M 250 Poleby Kyle Pokrefky May 16, 2015 0 comments
NEWTON, Iowa — While Erik Jones is in Charlotte on standby for Kyle Busch for tonight’s Sprint All-Star Race, his No. 20 Interstate Batteries Toyota claimed the pole at Iowa Speedway as practice driver Drew Herring claimed the pole for Sunday’s 3M 250.
Herring completed a circuit of 23.439 seconds around the 7/8th-mile short track, besting Daniel Suárez, Brian Scott, Chris Buescher, Brandon Jones, Chase Elliott, Regan Smith, Darrell Wallace Jr., Ty Dillon and Elliott Sadler to claim his second career Coors Light Pole Award.
As Erik Jones, the driver entered in the No. 20 car for the weekend, did not qualify the car – he will start tomorrow’s 250-lap race from the rear of the field and not assume Herring’s starting spot.
“Well, I did my part, now it’s up to him,” Herring said. “I did everything I could. It’s definitely a different situation. I wish I was going to be in the car tomorrow and you never know when things happen.
“It’s a privilege to be behind the wheel of a Joe Gibbs Racing car – and especially this weekend, it’s the first time I’ve been behind the wheel of the No. 20 Interstate Batteries Toyota. It’s been a good weekend.”
With the entry list for Sunday’s race prior to qualifying sitting at an even 40 entrants – no drivers were sent home after Q1.
Finding themselves eliminated from pole contention after Q1 were Landon Cassill, Eric McClure, Harrison Rhodes, Jamie Dick, Joey Gase, Ryan Ellis and Kenny Wallace, among others.
Being eliminated from pole contention after the second 10-minute round were Ryan Blaney, Ben Rhodes, Dakoda Armstrong, Ryan Reed, Ross Chastain, John Wes Townley, Jeremy Clements, David Starr, Ryan Sieg, Boris Said, Blake Koch and Cale Conley.
In 10 XFINITY races held at Iowa, the car to start in P1 has only won the race once while the furthest back an Iowa winner has come from on the grid is the 14th position.
The 3M 250 will start at 1:00 p.m CT/2:00 p.m ET tomorrow and will be broadcast live by FOX Sports 1, Motor Racing Network and SiriusXM Satellite NASCAR Channel 90.
Top-10 Qualifiers for the 3M 250
- 20 – Drew Herring* – Toyota – Joe Gibbs Racing – 23.439 | Leader
- 18 – Daniel Suárez# – Toyota – Joe Gibbs Racing – 23.446 | -0.007
- 2 – Brian Scott – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 23.524 | -0.085
- 60 – Chris Buescher – Ford – Roush Fenway Racing – 23.542 | -0.103
- 33 – Brandon Jones(i) – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 23.551 | -0.112
- 9 – Chase Elliott – Chevrolet – JR Motorsports – 23.554 | -0.115
- 7 – Regan Smith – Chevrolet – JR Motorsports – 23.564 | -0.125
- 6 – Darrell Wallace Jr.# – Ford – Roush Fenway Racing – 23.575 | -0.136
- 3 – Ty Dillon – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 23.626 | -0.187
- 1 – Elliott Sadler – Ford – Roush Fenway Racing – 23.636 | -0.197
# = Rookie, (i) = Ineligible for NASCAR XFINITY Series points, * = Substitute for Erik Jones.
Featured Image Photo credit: Kyle Pokrefky/The Fourth Turn