Austin Dillon Claims Boyd Gaming 300 Coors Light Pole Awardby Kyle Pokrefky March 7, 2015 0 comments
Photo credit: Jeff Zelevansky/NASCAR via Getty Images
LAS VEGAS — The No. 33 Rheem Chevrolet being shown at the top of the scoring pylon has been a recurring theme throughout the Boyd Gaming 300 race weekend as Austin Dillon turned in a scorcher of a lap to claim the Coors Light Pole Award for today’s race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Dillon completed a lap of 29.295 seconds to score his 12th career pole position in the XFINITY Series and the first of his career at Las Vegas.
Despite coming up a tenth of a second shy of breaking the XFINITY qualifying track record, the 2013 XFINITY champion showed off an incredible pace in qualifying by running a lap that was over a quarter-second quicker than second-place qualifier Brian Scott’s lap of 29.548 seconds.
Rounding out the top-10 of today’s starting lineup behind Dillon and Scott are Erik Jones, Ryan Blaney, Brendan Gaughan, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Regan Smith, Chase Elliott, Aric Almirola, and Chris Buescher.
The first of three qualifying rounds at Las Vegas was claimed by Dillon, who paced the opening round with a lap of 29.618 seconds while holding off Scott, Smith, Buescher, and Gaughan for the top spot.
Finding themselves on the outside looking in and failing to advance to Q2 were drivers such as Jeremy Clements, Jamie Dick, Cale Conley, David Starr, and Ross Chastain.
Failing to qualify for today’s 200-lapper were Josh Reaume and Dexter Bean.
In Q2, it was Scott that led the way with a lap of 29.554 seconds, a lap that bested Dillon, Blaney, Jones, and Elliott’s efforts to take the top spot on the scoring pylon.
Failing to advance to the third and final qualifying round of the day were Elliott Sadler, Ryan Sieg, Daniel Suárez, Brennan Poole, Ryan Reed, and Ty Dillon.
With the starting grid set for today’s race, the Boyd Gaming 300 will kick off at 1:00 p.m PT and will be broadcast live on FOX Sports 1. The Performance Racing Network (PRN) and SiriusXM Satellite NASCAR Channel 90 will carry live radio coverage of today’s race.
Top-10 Qualifiers for the Boyd Gaming 300
- 33 – Austin Dillon(i) – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 29.295 | Leader
- 2 – Brian Scott – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 29.548 | -0.253
- 20 – Erik Jones(i) – Toyota – Joe Gibbs Racing – 29.567 | -0.272
- 22 – Ryan Blaney – Ford – Team Penske – 29.600 | -0.305
- 62 – Brendan Gaughan – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 29.612 | -0.317
- 88 – Dale Earnhardt Jr.(i) – Chevrolet – JR Motorsports – 29.758 | -0.463
- 7 – Regan Smith – Chevrolet – JR Motorsports – 29.764 | -0.469
- 9 – Chase Elliott – Chevrolet – JR Motorsports – 29.771 | -0.476
- 98 – Aric Almirola(i) – Ford – Biagi DenBeste Racing – 29.783 | -0.488
- 60 – Chris Buescher – Ford – Roush Fenway Racing – 29.790 | -0.495
(i) = Ineligible for NASCAR XFINITY Series points.
Follow Kyle Pokrefky on Twitter at @KPokrefky