Photo credit: ARCAracing.com
MOBILE, Ala. — 11 drivers that are to compete in next Saturday’s ARCA Mobile 200 at Mobile International Speedway got an early taste of the half-mile speedway this past Saturday in a test session at the track.
Drivers from 2014 championship-contending teams such as Cunningham Motorsports, Mason Mitchell Motorsports, and Venturini Motorsports were present at Mobile two days ago for an afternoon test.
The one-day test provided teams with the opportunity to not only fine tune the optional new Ilmor 396 engines used in the series, but also a chance to test the new composite bodies that will be made available for use for the upcoming 200-lap event.
Not all teams on hand for Saturday’s test made use of the new racing technology at their disposal. Of the 10 cars testing at Mobile on Saturday, four utilized a new Five Star Bodies-manufactured composite body while five had a new Ilmor 396 powerplant under the hood.
Cunningham Motorsports’s Tom Hessert, last year’s third-place driver in the championship standings, tested out the new composite body during his session and noted in an interview with ARCAracing.com that from what he noticed, the visibility from inside the car is greatly improved over the steel bodies that have been the workhorses in the series.
“The new composite package looks absolutely awesome on the track; it’s just a lot different from the cockpit compared to what I’m used to,” Hessert said. “Everything about the inside is different…the visibility, the overall room you have…the windows are bigger…everything’s completely different inside the car.
“The perception of everything around you is different than it used to be. It’s cool. It looks great on the track.”
Hessert and 24 other drivers (as of March 9th) have been listed for entry for Saturday’s race – the second of the season for ARCA Racing Series.
All drivers entered for the ARCA Mobile 200 will have two Friday practice sessions to get their cars dialed in prior to a Friday night qualifying session and Saturday afternoon’s race.
Drivers Participating in ARCA Mobile 200 Test
- 2 – Sarah Cornett-Ching – Chevrolet – Hixson Motorsports – ILMOR
- 6 – Josh Williams – Chevrolet – Josh Williams Motorsports
- 9 – Thomas Praytor – Ford – Max Force Racing
- 22 – Kyle Weatherman – Dodge – Cunningham Motorsports
- 25 – Brandon Jones – Toyota – Venturini Motorsports – COMPOSITE BODY – ILMOR
- 55 – Dominic Ursetta – Toyota – Venturini Motorsports – ILMOR
- 58 – Michael Lira – Ford – Lira Motorsports – COMPOSITE BODY – ILMOR
- 58 – David Levine – Ford – Lira Motorsports – COMPOSITE BODY – ILMOR
- 77 – Tom Hessert – Ford – Cunningham Motorsports – COMPOSITE BODY
- 95 – Ronnie Osmer – Dodge – Carter 2 Motorsports
- 98 – Austin Wayne Self – Ford – Mason Mitchell Motorsports – COMPOSITE BODY – ILMOR