Blogs

Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick Not Focusing on Attempting the Indy-Charlotte Double

Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick Not Focusing on Attempting the Indy-Charlotte Double

by January 28, 2015 0 comments

Photo credit: Bob Leverone/NASCAR via Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — When this year’s running of the Indianapolis 500 gets underway, don’t expect to see current Stewart-Haas Racing drivers Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick taking the green flag.

Seven months after attempting the Indianapolis 500/Coca-Cola 600 double for Andretti Autosport and Stewart-Haas Racing, Busch has revealed that he has not had any serious talks regarding a second attempt at the Memorial Day weekend’s Indianapolis-Charlotte double.

While he has received the blessing of his Sprint Cup co-owner Tony Stewart and has received an okay from Andretti Autosport team principal Michael Andretti to attempt ‘the double’ again, Busch’s focus for the upcoming season has not been aimed towards a repeat performance at the Brickyard.

“It’s nice to have Tony Stewart’s blessing to run Indy and to have Michael Andretti give me the access to come back to give it a shot, but it’s something we haven’t talked about,” Busch said. “There’s been plenty of others things this offseason to stay focused on.”

When asked about the chances of her attempting the Memorial Day weekend doubleheader, Patrick played down the idea of her running it this year but left the door open for a possible attempt down the road.

Patrick, a former full-time driver in the Verizon IndyCar Series for Andretti Autosport, has seven career starts in the Indianapolis 500 that have resulted in six top-10 finishes with a best finish of third coming in 2009.

“Less every year, [there are] less thoughts about doing Indy every year,” Patrick said. “Really, the further I get away from it, the less I think about it and the less I want to do it because I feel like really being in the position to have a chance to win every year that I went there pretty much was something great and I don’t want to do anything to take away from that and what I accomplished by going there and being worse than that essentially.

“It’s a ‘never say never’ thing, but it’s definitely further and further away in my mind.”

Patrick also took the time in her answer to praise her Stewart-Haas teammate’s Indy 500 effort: “Kurt definitely did a wonderful job and was really smart and I think he had a great time doing it.”

Expanding a bit further on her answer regarding an Indy appearance, Patrick, who enters a contract year with Stewart-Haas, stated that she fully intends to remain in NASCAR in the future and says that a jump back to IndyCar or to other racing series is not in the cards for her.

“I ain’t getting any younger and I don’t know how many times I can change my career,” she stated. “As long as I have the confidence of Tony [Stewart] and Gene [Haas] and the people around me that are working with me and the support of my sponsors like Go Daddy, Aspen Dental, and now TaxACT is new, Florida Lottery, we’ve had some great great sponsors come along.

“As long as I have their support and the confidence of the people around me – I’m not going to F1 any time soon, that’s for sure.”

Follow Kyle Pokrefky on Twitter at @KPokrefky

Kyle Pokrefky
Follow Kyle Pokrefky on Twitter at @KPokrefky

No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Leave a Comment