Corn Country

Corn Country

by July 17, 2012 0 comments

Pulling Jamie B out of the back of the van…

Saturday evening I hopped on the plane around 2:30 heading up to Iowa Speedway with our team owners and crew. We arrived in Newton, Iowa about two hours later, grabbed the rental van and headed over to the track to get our credentials.

Since there are usually eight of us that fly and only seven seats in the van, our gas man, Jamie B, always just hops in the trunk of the van. We got to credentials and we all unloaded and headed in to get our passes. I was the first one in and the first one out. I had just got back to the van and I said, “OMG! JAMIE! WE’VE LEFT JAMIE LOCKED IN THE BACK!”

Needless to say, we all immediately began heehawing. Jamie was a good sport about it and laughed with us. We asked why he didn’t yell at us to let him out, but apparently we were all egger to get into the track and took off pretty quick. He said he started beating on the window and scared a lady pretty good, so he just waited patiently for us to return. Lol…

We ventured into the track, found the hauler and learned that Bubba had ended up around 15th in the final practice. He said that the truck was the best it had ever been! Qualifying was at five and it was still nerve racking since we had to qualify our way in. But Bub pulled off a good lap that put him in the 23rd starting position!

Hunley (left) and Gollehon (right)

There was only an hour in between qualifying and driver intros, so we didn’t have much waiting around to do. I headed over to the pits, dropped my stuff off at the pit box and headed down to the truck with Nathan to put Bub’s drink in.

I hung out at the truck for a bit before the race with Nathan and Rick. Went down and chatted with my buddy, Chris Jones, who starts and parks for Ryan Sieg. We met Chris racing at Motor Mile Speedway back in 2005 when Bubba was running late models and I had just started racing in the limited division.

 I headed up to my perch atop the pit box, after the prayer and national anthem, to begin my tweeting marathon. I always have to make sure my cellular device is charged at 100% at the start of each race because of all the pictures and updates I instagram and tweet, then it’s usually down to around 30% by the time it’s over.

I put my ear plugs in, turned the radio on…and nothing. Of course, I picked up the wrong radio, one that didn’t even work. So I rushed back over to the hauler, found my radio and then my iphone locked up on my way back. SMH. I proceeded to take it out of its Lilly Pulitzer case to take the battery out and reset it, but I couldn’t exactly figure out how to do that. Thankfully, after holding one of the two buttons down on it, it finally reset and came back on.

Our first pit stop of the night.

Bub lost a few positions at the beginning of the race. The truck was really tight and he told Hunley, our crew chief, to make sure he took a big swing at the adjustments on the first stop. We had gone a lap down during the first run, but got the lucky dog after another caution came out on lap 62. Bubba complemented the crew on going the right way with the adjustments and began moving forward.

The truck began to tighten back up and we lost our lap again. Bub hung tight around the 20th position all night, finally finishing 18th, one lap down. At least we didn’t finish 21st again…

After the race was over I rushed down pit road to meet Bub when he got out of the truck with some water and then I headed over to the hauler. Debbie (one of the owners) and I began packing up, making sandwiches for the boys and putting food away.

After the guys got the majority of the equipment loaded we headed back over to the airport. Loaded up on some grilled chicken and pineapple to go along with our Wise potato chips and hit the runway.

Stewardesses Debbie and Lindsey

Everyone seemed pretty happy on the way home. I am, most of all, thankful we’ve finished every race so far. I feel that it’s a testament of consistency and development on behalf of the whole team!

Our next race will most likely be Bristol on August 22nd. Caleb and Don have thrown the idea around about going to Pocono, but are still undecided. I will be sure to let everyone know when they do decide something! Just follow me @LJHolman75!

Lindsey Holman

No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Leave a Comment